Henderson Carter

Founded in 2010, Henderson Carter, formerly Henderson & Dumbleton Ltd, were an Independent Financial Adviser firm who gave people financial advice on things such as pensions transfers and SIPPs.

It’s this advice which landed them in trouble with the FCA, who in 2016 removed permissions for them to conduct regulated activity in respect of pension switches and transfers into SIPPs and for them to cease conducting all pension business.

They also put a note on the company’s FCA register profile which said

“Information has been provided to the FCA which has given rise to serious concerns with respect to the adequacy of the Firm’s pensions advice, including, but not limited to its relationship with:

  • Holistic Wealth Management Limited
  • Hennessy Jones Limited
  • City Administration Limited (CA Limited)”

How does pension mis-selling happen?

Unsuitable financial advice is one of the major factors in pension mis-selling and often occurs as a result of the client being exposed to investments within their SIPP that are much riskier than they can afford or were not suitable in the first place.

Two notable investments associated with Henderson Carter are Carbon Credits and the AIGO funds, both of which are high-risk and unregulated.

What now?

Henderson Carter Associates Ltd are no longer trading after entering into administration in 2017 and being declared in default by the FSCS.

However, if you have received advice from them, especially to transfer into a SIPP, then it would definitely be worth checking to see if that advice was suitable.

We offer a free no obligation check. It’s just a simple chat with one of our team to briefly assess the circumstances of your pension transfer. We will then tell you if we think you have a case and explain all your options, including making a claim yourself. Call 0114 2664216 or fill in the enquiry form to arrange a call.

Important Information!

You are not required to use our services to pursue your claim. You can also seek further advice or shop around subject to any time limits within which a claim must be made.

It is possible for you to present the claim for free, either to the firm or person against whom you wish to complain or to the statutory ombudsman (Financial Ombudsman Service or Pension Ombudsman Service) or the Financial Compensation Scheme, whichever is applicable to your claim.

We will not make or pursue a claim, or advise you to, if we know or have reasonable grounds to suspect that the claim does not have a good arguable basis, and or is fraudulent or frivolous.