Chat on WhatsApp

0114 266 4216

Unregulated Pension Introducers

In many mis-sold SIPP cases, Unregulated Introducers are common. Introducers are fundamentally firms who cold-call people and provide free pension reviews.

The purpose of these reviews is to persuade people they will be better off in retirement if they move their pensions into a certain investment. They may then refer to a regulated financial adviser to facilitate the transfer.

The Introducer will usually earn a commission for doing this.

They have caused huge losses for thousands of people who unknowingly transferred their money into unsuitable, high-risk investments after following their “advice”.

The FCA does not authorise Unregulated Introducers to give financial advice, which means they don’t have to act in the best interests of the consumer. It also means you can’t seek compensation for mis-sold pension advice from these companies.

This is what the FCA doesn’t like, most of all…

The main bone of contention for the FCA is when the Introducer has an inappropriate influence on investment choices. Why does this matter you, you might ask? Two reasons, mainly:

The first is that these Introducers are not qualified to give sensitive Financial Advice – and they do just that!  It is like the vending machine repair man attempting to diagnose an ill patient.

The second, more sinister reason is that unregulated Introducers are often linked to high-risk and exotic schemes with excessive costs, some of which may be hidden. The more they can get the consumer to sign up for, the more commission they receive. That is to say, Introducers are not bound by a duty of care as regulated Financial Advisers are. The FCA uses the phrase: “Acting in the consumer’s best interest.” Introducers are infamous for acting in their own best interest. What matters is: leads, sales and commission.

This is what the FCA say:

Many authorised firms we have visited do not have adequate input or control over the advice they are ultimately responsible for giving to customers.

An authorised firm which accepts business from an Introducer must meet its regulatory requirements. The authorised firm may be held responsible if:

Unregulated Pension Introducers and Cold Call Pension Reviews

If you are one of the many people who received a “cold call” offering a Free Pension Review, then it’s more than likely that you were speaking to an Introducer.

The outcome of these pension reviews is usually a recommendation to invest in a product for which the Introducer will receive a commission if the investment is made. The investment may not be FCA regulated.

The client will then be passed on to a regulated Adviser or SIPP provider to undertake the transfer or investment.

Unfortunately, following these recommendations has led many people to place their pension funds into unsuitable investments such as Car Parks, Store Pods, Overseas Developments, to name a few. This is quite often done through a SIPP pension transfer.

Cold calling was banned by the government in 2017.

Unregulated Pension Introducers and Advisers

It’s quite common in pension and investment mis-selling, for the Introducer to pass the client on to an Independent Financial Adviser. The IFA then advises on the SIPP transfer, but not on the unregulated investment.

However, as part of their regulated duty, they should also consider the investment part of the advice they have given.

Unfortunately, many advisers either didn’t realise this or purposely turned a blind eye and facilitated transfers that should’ve been deemed unsuitable because of the investment in the SIPP.

It may also have been the case that the clients existing arrangement better suited their personal circumstances. This would also mean advice to transfer may have been unsuitable.

SIPP Providers and Introducers

Many SIPP providers accepted business from unauthorised introducers on the basis that they would not be liable for any investment advice and that the SIPP was simply a way to enable the client to choose investments on their own or with the aid of an IFA.

However, successful claims are now being made against SIPP providers and it is clear that the FCA rules mean as a regulated entity they are responsible for applying adequate due diligence to the investments in their SIPPs and any 3rd parties they accept business from.

Can I claim against an Unregulated Introducer?

Unregulated Introducers fall outside of the FCA’s jurisdiction. This means it’s harder to hold them accountable.  It also means if the company has failed you can’t access the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS).

However, regulated Financial Advisers and SIPP Providers are subject to FCA rules, so if they were involved in your pension transfer or investment, you may be able to make a claim.

You could have a case against the Adviser or SIPP provider if they have failed to act in your best interests. For example, by giving you unsuitable investment advice. Or exercising insufficient due diligence in respect of accepting your business or the investment involved.

If you’ve taken up the offer of a free pensions review, or any of the above names seem familiar to your current investment, you’d be wise to check, as you may be able to make a claim.

Read Arthur’s story. He was cold called by unregulated introducers and persuaded to move his pension.

How to check if you’ve been mis-sold?

A simple way is to get in touch and have a free assessment by one of our mis-selling assessors.

It’s a brief chat in which we can tell you if you may have a case and how you can make a claim. There’s no obligation to use our service. See our Trustpilot reviews here.

Get in touch

Rodders Hewitt
Pension Claim Consulting Ltd ...have for me done a great job ...within the expected time scale ...Couldn't have asked for more
Phil C
Thank you to all at PCC. My claim was managed brilliantly and was successful. I can highly recommended their services. Thank you once again
Christopher Fraser
After identifying a concern regarding my pension, I sought advice from Pension Claim Consulting. The response and customer service was swift and amazing. The courtesy and care taken throughout the whole process was phenomenal. The consultant’s communication from start to finish filled me with confidence that PCC do exactly what they state and were on hand whenever required. The level of understanding, empathy for the frustrations, and patience is by far the best I’ve witnessed. I cannot thank PCC enough for their outstanding work ethic and dedication to customers/clients. If you have any concerns at all regarding your pension, then I would highly recommend that you get in touch with them.
Andy Yates
Fantastic service, so impressed with Pension Claims Consulting. None stop updates throughout and everyone who works there was so helpful and supportive in every way. Thank you so much for getting my pension back.
Robert Manningham
Pension Claim Consulting Ltd successfully won a case on my behalf following misguided advice I received in relation to my pension. They were most proactive in the process and kept me fully informed every step of the way. I have no hesitation in recommending their services.
Deanamo 84
Very professional, very thorough and very good at what they do. Always at the end of the phone or email for any questions at anytime throughout the process. I can’t recommend them enough.
Roger King
Pension Claim Consulting managed to reclaim some of my pension by constantly chasing the company that fraudulently took my money. I though that I had lost everything. I cannot thank them enough on recovering some of my pension back.
Susan Stringer
Excellent standard of service. The claim was protracted substantially by virtue of opponents trying hard to not accept any responsibility for their actions and not return the pension fund. PCC kept me fully informed throughout the process, obtained an excellent result for me.They also kept chasing the opponent when little action was taking place from them. The staff were always pleasant and helpful to deal with and very encouraging when I felt my claim was doomed to failure. I can not praise highly enough
Paul Wilshaw
Very professional and informative from the beginning of our 5 year relationship. They talked me through every step of the process with what to expect. I would recommend Pension Claim Consulting to anyone who wants an honest and professional service.
Bill Cass
Great team and they will get the best outcome they can always kept informed the process took a longtime not because of anything pension claims consulting did purely the pension sip provider playing games i would 110% recommend this company to pursue your claim without doubt best thing i have done they didn't give up on my claim even though I had given up on any good outcome however finally resolved and paid thank you pension claim consulting
Important Information!

You are not required to use our services to pursue your claim. You can also seek further advice or shop around subject to any time limits within which a claim must be made.

It is possible for you to present the claim for free, either to the firm or person against whom you wish to complain or to the statutory ombudsman (Financial Ombudsman Service or Pension Ombudsman Service) or the Financial Services Compensation Scheme, whichever is applicable to your claim.